I’ve always loved surrounding myself with beautiful things but there have been many instances throughout life where resources were limited so I needed to be creative. So, how do you surround yourself with beauty on a limited budget? Here are five suggestions I’ve come up with in my search to live beautifully.
1. Imagine It-In times of scarcity it can be difficult to imagine what it would be like if resources were more abundant. What I have in multitude are images from magazines. Even if you don’t have a bunch of periodicals lying around you can find them at used bookstores for cents. Flip through the images in the magazines and find ones you like that are pretty or attractive to you. Rip the pages out and create a collage. Make the masterpiece into a journal or poster to hang on your wall for inspiration. Take the notebook around with you on your travels to record more ideas about ways of living beautifully.
2. Reupholster It- I had a chair from Salvation Army for years before I took the time to reupholster it. I could see the beauty of the bones and figured some nice new fabric would turn it into a gem. I think I paid about $25 for the chair and spent another $20 for fabric and trim. One long weekend I finally figured out how to do it by reading through Simple Upholstery & Slipcovers by Carol Parks. It still needs the trim because I ran out of staples, but once it’s redone it’s probably worth a little over $100.
3. Can It-When I was studying wine I wanted to know what vintners went through in growing their grapes so I planted a cabernet sauvignon grape vine in the backyard. It took three years to produce fruit and then a one year learning curve to figure out what to do with the grapes, but this year I was able to make homemade grape jelly out of the harvest. Yum and what a great chance to spread the beauty around to friends.
4. Drink It-If you can’t afford a nice dinner out, how about traveling to try a different coffee house? The new Zumbar Coffee & Tea in Cardiff by the Sea, California is an inexpensive excursion. Beauty in a cup. Ahhh.
5. Meditate on It-Certainly not least, but if it boils down to just you and God, meditate on the word for a beautiful mindset.
“He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11